The living room has a wide specter of purposes that it is used for. It is a place for your relaxation, it can become a working space, can be used for friend’s gatherings, can even be used as a sleeping and mealing space. This variety creates not only many possibilities, but also it creates a problem- how to design your living room according to all its numerous possible interpretations?
Furniture Direction can be an answer to this question because we provide a large assortment of modern furniture pieces that are not only stylish but also stand out with versatility, practicality, and multifunctionality.
Modern styles have one big advantage in comparison with the classic approach- their furniture pieces have this very comfortable trait like “stylish neutrality” that gives the possibility to use one ambiance for multiple purposes.
Living room’s elements
Living room set
Living room sets is quite a comfortable option that releases you from the searching harmony in chosen furnishings. If you are not sure that the sofa you like will look good with the armchair you chose and this question leaves you without peace- then think about the living room sets.
Set is elaborated by the professional designers and all its elements and details have this togetherness that is so essential for any interior.
Living room sets are represented in different configurations. The smallest living set consists of the sofa and loveseat. It will be perfect if you don’t have a lot of space.
Sofa, loveseat, and armchair showcase the most classic “triangle” for the living room. It has this feel of intimacy and will be perfect for comfortable chatting with the friends you invited.
There are living room sets with accent tables and this final stage will be a full-furnished room with a balanced composition.
A sofa is the first aspect of the living room and the most popular one, so the sofa’s types and variations come in a very wide specter of the designs. There are sectional sofas that have more than four seating places( and they too have different types), there are folding sofas with a variety of mechanisms, even the simple sofa has more than ten types of designs, each with its own distinguishable details.
Depending on your needs, requests and preferences can be chosen one specific sofa type. But for more information go to the sofa category on our site.
The loveseat was invented as a smaller sofa and usually it provides two seating places. They can be chosen for a small room for the space economizing reasons. Loveseats are quite similar to the sofas when it comes to the types, there are folding loveseats and standard sofa types like lawson style sofa, tuxedo sofa and etc are also applicable to the loveseats.
Armchairs too due to their long history are represented in a wide range of types. There are:
- wingback armchair that has low seat and large curved back with the “wings” on the sides;
- club armchair that has a deep seat, low backrest, and its design features curved lines;
- swivel armchair according to its name differs with the swivel mechanism;
- the classic armchair that can be in any other design and shape.
Accent tables’ types can be combined together in one interior or can be bought separately, it depends on your needs. There are coffee tables, end and side tables, and console tables.
- coffee tables are low and usually placed in front of the sofa, and used for keeping small objects, cups, magazines and etc;
- console tables are higher than coffee tables and have narrower tabletop, they are usually placed in the hallway;
- end and side tables are the smallest accent table type and are placed on the room sides or near the big furniture pieces.
There are materials used for the upholstery and materials used for the main construction.
Materials used for the upholstery are:
Fabric is one of the most interesting upholstery materials because it has a large variety. Colors, textures, and tactile sensations from the fabric are represented in all possible imaginable designs. Velour, silk, chenille, linen, cotton, and other fabrics have their own features and in most cases are cheaper than leather upholstery. But it of course not so easy to clean.
Leather upholstery has this unrepeatable chic image for which it is loved. Leather texture and smooth shinning in combination with the close to natural color palette can add to any interior luxurious vibes. But it requires some special maintenance care and it is more expensive.
Can be a good choice who is not ready to buy natural leather. It is quite similar to its original analog when it comes to appearance, the difference is not so obvious, and its price is much lower.
Materials for the main construction
Wood is the most exquisite material due to its durability, strength, and of course its unique grain that can add to any design chic and luxury. This material requires special care that will elongate its life and also it is more expensive than other materials, but this pays off in the long run.
MDF, Particleboard, and plywood
These wood imitators have their own features and can be a good replacement if your budget is limited. Particleboard is quite light but for this reason, it is not so strong, MDF has more density and strength but with this, it gets also the weight. Plywood is the most durable and the strongest one, it can be made from different wood species so this material is the closest one to the wood and because of this, it is the most expensive one.
Colors in the living room should be chosen with the thought of the future coziness and harmony of the interior. This room in most cases should relax you and colors play not a small role in this process.
The first possible variant is a combination of ivory, chocolate, and beige colors. This color combination found in a proper proportion will give a room elegance and warmth. It is hard to make a mistake with this variant.
Another color you can think about is the gray color in all its shades. In combination with white, blue and even black it can magickly transform your room. The key to success is the right colors’ proportions.
Tips on choosing living room furniture
- Depending on your needs you should think about the space zoning and from this choose furniture for each zone. Do you need a reading or working zone? Maybe you like to have your breakfast in the living room or maybe you want for this room to be a home theater? Think about this aspect properly and keep in mind one rule: furniture shouldn’t take more than 40% of the space.
- The sofa is one the most determinative aspects. The sofa can play the role of the space divider, or it can be the room’s accent, or maybe you are in need of one additional sleeping space. In most cases from the sofa starts design conception of the room.
- Armchair shouldn’t be just like the other furnishings, it seldom becomes a room’s bright accent that differs from living room ensemble. But if you choose this path think properly about the room’s composition, the armchair still should have some inner connection with it. Some accent pillows that repeat the sofa’s pattern or maybe the armchair’s color repeated in some decor elements will serve you well for this purpose.